Saturday, August 19, 2006

A startling revelation

I didn't realize that my last post was on Monday! Sorry that you had to wait a few days. I've been busy getting back into the swing of things with work and my normal schedule.

Another thing that I have been busy with is answering emails from a few Chinese students. Judy (mentioned in my last post) has written to me twice. I just responded to Ann, who was another of my students, and told her what I have been doing since I got back home. And, I sent a picture to Linda.

Linda was in a different class, but I met her on Tuesday night when all the students and all the teachers got together to play a game. (Ever heard of Gorilla, Man, Gun? It's a full-body version of Rock, Paper, Scissors.) After the game, we had time to just hang out and talk with the kids. All of us (there were MANY other teachers besides just our team) were approached and asked questions. I was asked if I could sing. When I said yes, of course they wanted a performance and I had a hard time coming up with a song on the spot. Finally I did, and got a few lines out...mostly in tune, I think. Everyone wanted their picture taken with the "foreign teachers." It was a fun time.

Later in the week I was struck by the memory of that night. The kids would come up to me (and the others on the team) and begin a question with, "Teacher..." It made me think of how people would come up to Jesus and preface their questions with the same title. Their title was "rabbi," which is translated "teacher." Teacher, where are you staying? John 1 Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life? Matthew 19 (It is interesting to note that Jesus' friends as well as his enemies called him teacher.)

To me, it was an awesome reminder of why we had come so far. We needed to be Jesus to those kids.

No comments: