Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I'm COLD!

Some days I just can't seem to get warm, no matter how many layers of clothing I wear. (Or even if I wear my flannel-lined jeans--one of the greatest inventions ever created for skinny people.) Today the temperature didn't get much above 20 F. It's just plain cold. So, with warm thoughts, maybe I'll post some more pictures from Africa. In Niger and Burkina Faso, the temperature didn't dip much below 65, and even that only in the evenings. During the day it was 101 F. In November. Oh, for those days again. Actually, as I write this, Marcia is back in Niger taking care of some things that she didn't get to in our last visit. Maybe she will send warm thoughts my way.

Yesterday I finished reading "Prisoners of Hope" by Heather Mercer and Dayna Curry. They were the two girls, missionaries in Afghanistan, put into prison for sharing their faith. Sept 11, 2001 happened while they were being held, then the U.S. and their allies attacked Afghanistan in order to get to the Taliban. For the most part, they were treated well in prison. But when the Taliban were chased out of the city, things got interesting as chaos reigned. However, a team of special forces (U.S.) came for them in a couple of large military helicopters late one night. When they got on the helicopter, one of the soldiers told them, "My family and I have been praying for you since we heard of your situation." He went on to say that he was honored that God was using him to help them escape. Wouldn't it be amazing to be used of God to be His answer to millions of prayers--including your own? What a moment for that man. What a moment for Dayna and Heather. God is awesome, isn't he?


By the way....Happy birthday to my dad, and to my friend Anne in St. Louis!

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

Love the Africa pix; my feet are freezing, too; and I love the encouragement from the rescue!

Mel Mouse said...

Wow, somebody commented! Thank you Sherrie. :)