The Rockies are in the World Series!! I repeat: the Rockies are in the World Series. If I say it enough times it might be believable. They absolutely refuse to lose. They have now won 21 of their last 22 games, and are undefeated in the postseason. All the authorities in the world of sports are trying to figure it out. I'm just a humble fan, but I may have a little insight.
Did you hear Clint Hurdle at a press conference the other day? In answering a question about the Rockies success, he mentioned faith and then he defined it as a hope in things that you can't see, paraphrasing Hebrews 11:1. Did you hear Matt Holliday on the podium last night? "I thank the Lord" for the opportunity to play, to be MVP of the NLCS, and to be going to the World Series. Did you read the article regarding faith and sports in the Denver Post on Sunday? In the MLB, the team chaplain is usually an unpaid position. The Rockies' chaplain is the only one paid for his services. Have you heard the players' answer whenever someone asks them about the winning streak? "We don't talk about that. We focus on winning today's game."
Maybe the sports-gurus can't understand it, but it makes perfect sense to me. "Seek first [God's] kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." That's in Matthew chapter 6.
Some believe God doesn't care about sporting events. I disagree.
No comments:
Post a Comment