So, this only a snippet of what's been going on with me lately...but I'm losing my office space at work. I've had to share an office for the majority of the time that I've worked at this job. (I'm Financial Admin at a counseling center.) But, that wasn't usually a big deal because we worked on different days. Actually, my first month on the job, we were in a different building and I had my own office. When we moved, we upgraded to a much nicer space, but I had to share with one of the part-time counselors. Then I had the office to myself again for the month of October, after she left. It was nice to have my own space for a while. Then we hired someone new. She started out just one day a week...now she's expanding to two days a week and switching her days...
She would be fine with using another office for her appointments...but she's a money generator, and I'm lowly admin staff (part-time). It's only natural that I get displaced, and she take over the office. They've offered to build me a little cubicle with some space that is available, but it would be very small and I wouldn't have a window. Is it worth the trade-off in order to have a space to call my own? In my mind, no. I am a big fan of natural light. So, for the next few weeks I'll be working on Mondays in one office (what has been "my" office), and on Wednesdays in a different office. Eventually, I'll be kicked out of the first office entirely when my officemate starts coming in on Mondays. But, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
This caused me to pause and consider whether this job is worth this aggravation. When I interviewed, I had no idea that this was going to be an issue. It was only at the end of the interview that they casually mentioned they would be moving in about a month. I didn't even find out until later that meant I would be sharing an office.
Change is always something that takes a while for me to get used to. So, it has been a bit stressful. But, then I remember my old job... There's no comparison. I shared an office with my boss, and that office was smaller than the offices where I work in now. We were usually there at the same time, so she was constantly right across the table from me. Looking back, I can't even imagine how I endured that for as long as I did. Only through God's grace. My current situation is much better. Then, I think about the people I work with, and how they are all Christians, and what a blessing that has been. This truly is an awesome job, a gift from God. I would be a fool to be unthankful and take it for granted. So, I was remembering a part of a verse..."I'd rather be a doorkeeper in the house of the Lord, than dwell in the tents of wickedness." (Ps 84.10) My paraphrase would be: I would rather be an office-less, part-time, lowly admin at a Christian counseling center, than a high-paid engineer or exec at a corporate firm. I am where I belong...at least until God directs me otherwise.
1 comment:
i really liked this post (as i do all what you write :) but in particular with this one, i loved the truth of the journey ...
love you and excited for your next african adventure!!
Post a Comment