In early February, I put my best friend on a plane to Asia...where she will live for the next two years. I rode with her parents to the airport and back. When I got in my car to drive home, a song was just ending and the next song was "Cinderella." The previous month, I had tried to spend as much time as possible with my friend, just enjoying our time together.
"So I danced with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
Cause I know something the prince never knew.
I danced with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone."
This weekend my cousin visited. She is the extended family member that I connect with the best...in some ways she reminds me of my best friend, though they are not altogether the same. I really enjoy her company, and I wished she could have stayed longer. But, she's on a tight schedule and needed to get back. This time she was all excited because she is on the verge of an engagement. It was so fun to hear her stories, and I am so happy for her! But, it was another reminder that things never stay the same. She doesn't come to visit Colorado very often (in fact she spends a good deal of her time out of the country as well!) So, the next time she comes, she may very likely be married. Not a bad change, just different. (He sounds like a wonderful guy, and I am anxious to meet him!) Different.
"She came home today with a ring on her hand,
just glowing and telling us all they had planned..."
So, Steven, if you're out there...you didn't just write a song that resonates with parents...but with anyone. I guess we all experience the changing relationships that mark our lives....
1 comment:
Our prayers are with Steven Curtis Chapman's family as they recently lost their youngest daughter, Maria. Sometimes the time we have with loved ones is even shorter than we think. All too soon the clock will strike midnight...
Now Maria is dancing with Jesus.
Post a Comment