A few weeks ago, I was blessed with the opportunity to go to the countries of Niger and Burkina Faso in West Africa. It was a mission trip through my church, with the purpose of scouting out the various ministries there, and discerning whether God would have our church get involved. It was an awesome experience that is hard to put into words. I was asked to write a one-page report of the trip, and submit it to the missions team at chuch. Because it reveals a lot of what I experienced, I'm going to share it here as well. I'm not sure that this is the format they were looking for, but it demonstrates the truths that I came away with:
How does one encapsulate all that I experienced in Africa on one page? I could write about all the different ministries I was exposed to, the schools, churches, villages, and hospitals. I could write about the dignitaries I have met and dined with. I could write about the people and how they welcomed us with open arms and showered us with gifts. But, I think the most important aspect of the experience was how I saw God. It can be a bit difficult to put those experiences into words, but perhaps it can best be seen through a few stories.
In hearing testimonies of the people we met, our drivers and translators in Niger, it was evident that the Holy Spirit has been active in that country for many years. One man shared how his wife came to Jesus. She was ill, and her mother brought her to a gospel crusade for healing. Even the Muslims know that when Christians pray, things happen! Her mother was just looking for physical healing, but as this man told us, "she was healed, and she was hooked!" She saw the power of the one true God, and she could not turn away.
Also in Niger, we drove 150 kilometers (about 90 miles) outside of town to a village in the bush. Actually, we met them at their church building, an open brick structure with a roof overhead. Standing next to that is their old church, a branch and reed structure. We didn't all fit inside the building, so we had a church service in the shade of the tree. They sang, they prayed, they took an offering, it was just like home…but not quite. The service was not conducted in English, it was not even conducted in French (the national language of Niger). The people spoke a tribal language. Anything said by us white people was translated twice—first into French, then into the tribal dialect. It was a glimpse of heaven, when people from every nation, tribe and tongue will stand before the Lord and sing his praises.
We stepped off the plane in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and were immediately greeted by Pastor Michel Ouedraogo. As he took us around, showing us the Village of Hope, and the Source de Vie Medical Clinic, I became aware that I was in the presence of one of God's precious saints. His faith in Jehovah Jireh (the God who provides) was astounding. His visionary mentality of what he wants to accomplish was inspiring. He surrounds himself with people who have the skills to make it happen. Though, he would say that he prays for the money and the people and the materials, and God makes it happen. So much has already been done, and there is so much more to be done. It is not empire building, for the sake of proclaiming Michel's name in the streets. It is Kingdom building, to proclaim the name of the LORD. Everything in his ministry is "Gloire à Dieu," Glory to God.
Sunday afternoon, our team was able to converse with Yosue, the man who is our primary contact in Benin. His testimony encouraged me. He went to veterinary school in Togo, and when he graduated he felt called to full-time ministry serving the youth of his country. It was a tough decision, because he had grown up poor and was looking forward to the financial rewards of his chosen profession. In Benin, he faces intense spiritual warfare on a daily basis, yet he perseveres because he knows, without a doubt, that he is doing what God wants him to do.
These stories are just a taste of what I believe is in store for the people of Grace Chapel, should we decide to adopt these three countries in West Africa. We can share our knowledge and financial resources with them, and in return they can give us something so much more valuable—a glimpse of the awesome power of the LORD. Gloire à Dieu!
No comments:
Post a Comment